One of my favorite bloggers, Lost sent in these facts:
1. Five forest types can be found in the Great Smoky Mountains.
2. Together there are more than 130 species of trees, and 4,000 other plant species.
3. They represent all the major forest types along eastern North America.
4. As elevation increases within the park, it gets wetter and the temperature goes down. Each 1,000 feet of elevation gained is the equivalent of moving 250 miles north.
5. It is so wet in places that part of the park is considered rainforest.
6. All five types can be seen at once from Campbell Overlook, two miles south of the Sugarlands Visitor Center on Newfound Gap Road.
The tree variety makes fall a multicolor treat in East Tennessee.